THIS ARTICLE MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE MARKETING LINKS! IN CASE YOU MAKE A PURCHASE THROUGH ONE OF THE LINKS, WE'LL GET A SMALL COMMISSION. WITH NO EXTRA CHARGES TO YOU. THANKS!!
The difference between web design and web development is somewhat blurred and people often get confused between the two. As “web design” has become an umbrella term, the concept of design and development falls under it. It is important for people to be aware that a successful website requires excellent design and development. Studies show that website visitors make a judgment in just a few seconds. Therefore, good web design will make the site attractive and easy to use, and good web development will provide it with interesting features and functions. All of this contributes to a great user experience and compel the users to visit again. So, let’s take a look at what is the difference between web design and development?
What is difference between Web Design and Web Development
Web design determines the look and feel of a web page and website. The main focus of web design revolves around aesthetics. It includes the layout, logo design, navigation, graphic design, and color palette of the website. Web design has more to do with the look, feel, and user experience of the website than functions. The main task for a web designer will be to make a website that is user-friendly and fit the purpose for which it was designed.
In contrast, web development is all about the internal characteristics, functionality, and features of a website. The main focus of web development is programming the “back end” of a website. It involves the covering of functions such as content management systems, registration, e-commerce, and other applications. Web development is responsible for making it possible for visitors to a website to interact with it.
At this point for web design graphic design is of great importance. It is initially the graphic design that presents the web page because it depends on it if it can capture the attention of those who visit the website.
As for web development, it refers to the correct use of the different programming and development tools, especially to establish solutions when a problem arises with the site.
In general, it is not usually the same professionals who do both tasks, that is, designing and developing the website, or at least that would be ideal. They are totally complimentary but very different. To explain in simple words, the designer develops an idea into a design and the developer takes the design and transforms it into a functional website.
Among the most used tools for web design are Adobe PhotoShop, and Adobe Dreamweaver, as well as color theory, and typography among others.
It is important to note that some tools are used by both designers and developers in HTML and CSS formats.
Sometimes it is difficult to differentiate one concept from another especially if we speak from the perspective of the digital era, so currently there is confusion between two concepts such as web design and web development, and although some people think they are the same, deep down they are not, and especially it is a problem when customers who request one of these services, so here we present each of their differences framed in different points of view.
Difference between Web Design and Web Development
- Web design creates the aesthetic appearance and the range of colors of the website and without development, it would be totally static. Whereas, web development makes that appearance fulfill the functions for which it was created. For example, if the designed website is an e-commerce, you can see the items, and you can buy and pay.
- Web design takes into account the usability of the site, the spaces, that the site “breathes”, that the reading is comfortable and that the user experience is pleasant. Whereas, web development, however, aims to serve the user what he is demanding. Whether it is a home page where the latest entries are collected, a search result, or a category archive.
- Web development takes care of the functionalities required by the purpose for which the website was created.
Points to Remember:
- The design is the first thing a client wants to see when they place an order, and how they are made. It can be something inconsequential, for the most part, they just want it to work and deliver.
- For a user to stay on a website, the design has to be eye-catching, attractive and above all easy to navigate. But the site must be fast and work properly, this will make the visitor stay longer on that website. A nice design is useless if it takes a long time to load or is poorly programmed.
- It is very important that design and web development are integrated and go hand in hand to achieve a good user experience. The professionals of both fields must work for a single purpose, that the visitor to the website wants to visit it again.
Which is more important, web design or web development?
It depends, since each web project has its own specifications, the requirements for Web Design and Web Development will vary accordingly. It is possible that, for a corporate website, oriented only to the presentation of services, we do not require a high level of web development and focus much of the efforts on its design. On the contrary, in a multinational online store coordinated with a complex stock system, web development will be key to incorporating all the necessary functionalities for its proper functioning.
In simple words, the design is the outside, the drawing of the tailored suit, and the development is the inside, the fabric, the cut, the stitches, the finishing, the hems, the buttons, etc.
A good web designer should have a skill in graphic design and a good knowledge of marketing. He or she will know how to attract the attention of visitors to a website and encourage them to explore it. A good web developer should have excellent programming skills, finding the solutions that give functionality to a website. However, for a website to meet the requirements that people want, it must have both good designers and experienced developers. So that concludes this article and hopefully, you got the answer to the question of what is difference between web design and web development.