THIS ARTICLE MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE MARKETING LINKS! IN CASE YOU MAKE A PURCHASE THROUGH ONE OF THE LINKS, WE'LL GET A SMALL COMMISSION. WITH NO EXTRA CHARGES TO YOU. THANKS!!
Motion Graphic Designer is a very sought after job profile nowadays. Due to the rise in the use of multimedia and short video type content on social media. Motion Graphics are great for marketing, branding, and brand awareness. And if you want to learn about how to become a motion graphic designer then continue reading.
How to become a Motion Graphic Designer?
Before starting let’s take a quick look at what motion graphics are? Basically, motion graphics are a form of digital animation. It can be utilized in either 2D or 3D format. One can easily create short video clips, videos, short films, commercials, and so on by using motion graphics.
And having a career in motion graphic design can be a great choice. But learning motion graphics can take a good amount of time to learn and some more to master. So one of the main things to remember is to really commit to the learning and having patience.
In order to achieve your goal of becoming a Motion Graphic Designer. There are a few different paths that you can take. One of the ways is to get a bachelor’s degree and be proficient in animation. Second way is to enroll in a motion graphic design course. You can easily get access to these courses through sites like Udemy, Pluralsight, and so on. And the third way is to learn on your own by watching tutorials on Youtube. As for the tools used for creating motion graphics consists of softwares used for motion graphics production and a PC or Laptop. The most widely used softwares are Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe After Effects, and Adobe Premiere Pro. Along with the softwares offered by Adobe, Cinema 4d is also a well known software used for motion graphics.
Where to learn Motion Graphics?
As mentioned above there are few different ways in which you can learn motion graphics. These ways are listed below:-
- Getting a Bachelor’s degree:- You can get admission in a college that provides a degree in graphic designs, art and animation in order to learn motion graphic design. And having a degree really boosts your chance of getting hired.
- Enrolling in a Course:- If you are not willing to join a college then you can learn motion graphics by enrolling or purchasing a course at the platforms like Udemy, Pluralsight, and so on. There are tons of courses that you can enroll in from beginner to advanced level.
- Learning on Youtube:- Well you can basically learn anything from Youtube free of cost. As there are various high quality tutorials available on the platform. Whether you want to learn graphic design, animation or motion graphics.
Let’s get in more detail about the things required for becoming a Motion Graphic Designer.
Essential Tips to become a Motion Graphic Designer
Here we are gonna provide you with tips to help you get started. Like which software to learn, where you can learn them, pc configurations, and so on.
01. What software to learn?
One of the most important decisions to make is about which software to learn. Majority of the animators are gonna recommend you to learn Adobe softwares. But along with Adobe softwares there are various softwares available that you can also learn for creating motion graphics. We are going to list the softwares that you can learn in order to make motion graphics.
- Adobe After Effects
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- Cinema 4D
While learning a software, remember to use the one that you are most comfortable in using. All the softwares has a different learning curve. So try and select the one that suits you the best.
02. Selecting the right Hardware for PC
In a computer there are mainly four components that you need to keep an eye on.
- CPU:- You will need to get a computer with a CPU that is powerful enough to run the software that you want to learn and use for work.
- RAM:- For the purpose of running motion graphic softwares you will need the minimum of 16 gigabytes of RAM in your computer.
- Storage:- As for the storage nowadays SSDs are a popular choice as they are faster than HDD. One thing to remember is to select a storage device with enough memory to store all your data and softwares.
- Graphic Card:- Same as the case with CPU you will need a graphic card that is powerful enough to handle the task at hand.
03. Learn Traditional Art
Learning and having the knowledge of traditional art will greatly help you in learning motion graphics. As it will enhance the learning process by making it dynamic, and interesting. It will also make you able to easily communicate your ideas through design. Having an understanding and knowledge of sketching and art will make the learning process of motion graphics easier.
04. Knowledge of Animation
One of the main jobs of the motion graphic designer is to put life into 2D or 3D elements by means of movement. So the knowledge of animation becomes essential for motion graphics. And thus having a strong understanding of the animation, will make your work stand out.
05. Art of Storytelling
By means of design, designers try to communicate ideas, and messages to the audience. And motion graphic designers are not an exception. Audience engages with the story very easily. So refine your storytelling ability.