THIS ARTICLE MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE MARKETING LINKS! IN CASE YOU MAKE A PURCHASE THROUGH ONE OF THE LINKS, WE'LL GET A SMALL COMMISSION. WITH NO EXTRA CHARGES TO YOU. THANKS!!
What Graphic Design is about? before talking about the topic of graphic design let`s talk about designing first. Designing has been an intricate part of human culture and history. We’ve been known to design stuff as early as we have knowledge of our human history. Over the course of time, we have distinguished the design into various forms and parts. It is one such form that drives the process of designing.
Table of Contents
- What Graphic Design is about?
- Elements of Graphic Design:-
- Principles of Graphic Design:-
- Types of Graphic Design:-
- Jobs in Graphic Design:-
- Frequently Asked Questions:-
What Graphic Design is about?
Graphic Design has been given various definitions and the gist of them all is that it deals with the process of conveying thoughts, emotions, and ideas through the means of visual cues such as shapes, forms, typography, and space management which are graphics in this case. The visual objects that graphic design produces are very varied. Among them, we can mention posters, informative flyers, brand image (logos and logotypes), typography, advertising image, animation, stationery, web pages, magazines, newspapers, books (layout and cover design), and many more.
It consists of various Principles, Types, and Elements that are used in the process of designing.
There are some basic elements or units which are used in any design process. The elements used in it are pretty self-explanatory, the elements that are associated with graphic design are as follows:-
- LINE:- A line is a line connecting two points.
- SHAPE:- Shapes consist of rectangles, squares, circles, triangles so on and so forth.
- COLOR:- Color well colors are the colors we see all around us.
- TYPOGRAPHY:- Typography means the use of the different types of fonts in the design and how, when, and which font to use in a graphic.
- TEXTURE:- The texture is basically the look and overall feel of the graphic as a design on the canvas will feel and look very different from the design on plain paper.
- SIZE:- Size of the is all pretty much very simple to understand as to how big or small is a said graphic design is, that’s it can be on a poster or a 60ft. banner.
- SPACE:- Space in a graphic is the management and positioning of all the elements in the provided area of the design.
Designing Principles are used as a guide by a graphic designer as to what should be the best arrangement of the elements of a page layout to ensure that overall designs are connected to one another. The following are Graphic Designing Principles:-
- BALANCE:- Balance is the thing that keeps the graphic pleasing to the eyes if there is no proper balance it will not convey its supposed idea. That there should be a balance between the elements used in it without the overuse of any of them.
- ALIGNMENT:- Alignment deals with the overall look and orientation of the design that is elements are on the left side or right side of the design, or they are going diagonally, etc.
- PROXIMITY:- In this principle, the placement of the elements is decided such as the distance between them.
- REPETITION:- It is one of the most used principles, repetition is also used for creating contrast in the design. Repetition as the name suggests deals with the repetition of the design elements.
- CONTRAST:- Well in the case of contrast in a graphic there must be the proper way to distinguish between the most important part, the important part, and, the additional details
- BRANDING/CORPORATE IDENTITY KIT:- Branding kit consists of all the important things regarding a brand of business such as logo, business card, letterheads, envelope cover, stickers, etc. which work as a distinguishing mark of the business.
- DIGITAL:- Digital design is well very easy to understand as such all the designs made by the use of digital medium fall in this category.
- MARKETING/ADVERTISING:- Marketing and ad materials made with it consists of banners, posters, sun packs, flyers, and other digital media design which are used for advertising purpose.
- PRODUCT/PACKAGING:- Product and packaging design is used to give us a rough idea of the finished product even before its production and it is a very important part of the branding.
- ENVIRONMENTAL:- Environmental designs mainly mean the designs such as signs and other designs which we found in the environment around us.
- PUBLISHING/EDITORIAL:- Publishing is very self-explanatory as it is used in the form of publishing books, magazines, newspapers, and other printed media.
- LETTERING:- Last but not least lettering refers to the use of typography and the best use of the fonts in the newsletters, letters, and other reading or written designs we use.
Jobs in Graphic Design:-
- ART DIRECTOR
- CREATIVE DIRECTOR
- GRAPHIC DESIGNER
- CONCEPT ARTIST
- UX/UI DESIGNER
- PRODUCT DEVELOPER
- What is the difference between Digital Design and Graphic Design?
- Top 10 Graphic Design Books
- Best Color Printer for Graphic designers
- Top 10 Graphic Design Books
- Graphic Design Vs Fashion Design
Frequently Asked Questions:-
Question:- Is graphic design hard?
Answer:- One-word answer to this question is NO. Graphic design requires creativity, an interest in art and design, dedication, and time. It also requires the necessary learning tools along with the understanding and application of the theories and design principles.
Question:- Is graphic designing a good career?
Answer:- Graphic design is a great career choice for people who are creative and enjoy art. And comfortable learning and working with new technology. Design is required and used in every industry, thus it offers a wide range of exciting and new projects and opportunities.
Question:- How do graphic designers make money?
Answer:- There are various ways available for a graphic designer to get paid. One of the most popular ways is to get a job. And doing freelance work is also a popular choice. Other than this designers can earn passive income by selling designs, templates, and art on different marketplaces.
Question:- Do graphic designers make logos?
Answer:- Yes, graphic designers make logos. And they do a lot more than just designing logos, designers make product packaging, illustrations, advertisements, and so on. Graphic Designers also work on product design, publication design, and website design to name a few.